Sunday, June 30, 2013

Sometimes....

Sometimes at a small table in the local coffee shop,
I close my eyes and see nothing--peace. 
I smell the warm, brisk, white chocolate mocha sitting in front of me.  
I taste the dark chocolate espresso bean I lifted from the top of my cup. 
I hear others talking quietly about their lives--his new job, her wedding dress, selling the house, the hours at the restaurant. 
I hear fingertips tying on laptops,
I hear bells jingling, ringing as the door sweeps open and customers slide in. 
I hear a new cup slipped into a cup holder and set on the counter.
I hear the bakery case open and an employee slide a pastry out.  
I hear a swipe of a credit card or the clinging of loose change. 
I feel the warmth of the coffee in my cup and the stillness of my soul. 
I see young and old, men and women, groups and individuals, crowded spots, and empty seats.  
The shop is busy; people are moving in all directions to work, to school, to the hospital, home after the late night shift. 
But in my chair at a small table in the local coffee shop, my life, for a few moments is quiet and still. 

No comments:

Post a Comment